Overview of Notebooks
What is a notebook?
- Notebook contains code, code results and documentation
- Supports many languages through kernels but Python, Julia and R are common.
- Interactive interpretter provides immediate results from your code
- Better annotations for communication compared with just code
- Additional functionality can be added using extensions and kernels
What are notebooks good for?
- Great for prototyping
- Great for teaching and learning
- Remote editing
- Mixing CLI and code as a powerful replacement for bash
What are notebooks bad for?
- Production quality code
- Missing linting
- Code completion can be better
- Out of order executions
- Code reviews
Jupyter is included with Anaconda.